Severe Weather Safety Tips
SERVPRO of East Evansville wanted to share severe weather tips for our locals in Evansville Indiana and the surrounding tristate area, to be proactive this fall, in the case of tornadic events.
- Identify Outdoor Hazards
The winds that accompany a tornado can exceed 300 mph, making it easy for debris to be thrown in every direction. Remove or securely store things that could potentially be a hazard, including:
- Outdoor Furniture
- Children’s Toys
- Downed Tree Limbs
Take a walk around your home exterior and look for trees that present a risk to your home or electrical lines. Locate any leaks that need patching to avoid water damage from the torrential rain that accompanies tornadoes.
- Add Extra Protection to Windows and Doors
- Storm Shutters– Storm shutters are the simplest form of protection you can implement for your windows. You can either have permanent storm shutters installed by a professional or create your own out of plywood that you can quickly put in place if a storm is near.
- Brace Garage Doors – Your garage door poses a significant vulnerability during a tornado because if it goes missing, it completely compromises the structure of your home. If you have a multi-car garage or an oversized door, install wood or metal stiffeners for added support. We recommend using metal bracing, but wood is acceptable in certain circumstances.
- Secure Large Furniture and Appliances
- Use metal strapping, flexible cable or braided wire to secure large appliances and your water heater.
- Secure Copies of Important Documents Off-Site
- Keep important documents on a computer in the cloud.
- Insurance information
- Property deed and mortgage paperwork
- Social security cards
- Wills and medical directives
- Bank account numbers
- Birth Certificates
- Important contact information
- list of your home contents
- Designate a Safe Room
- In the basement, away from windows
- A small center room on the lowest level, like a bathroom or closet. Avoid rooms with windows, if at all possible.
Keep a storm emergency kit in your safe room, too. The kit should have items like water, flashlights, batteries, a first-aid kit, non-perishable food, emergency call list. List SERVPRO of East Evansville 812-471-3132 as your local water and fire restoration franchise, ready to help!