If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (812) 471-3132

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Grease Fires

Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires in the United States. And grease fires are a main culprit. If a grease fire is left alone, even for a few minutes, your whole kitchen can go up in flames. From the time a grease fire starts, how long do you realistically have to try to put it out on your own? Once a fire lights, you have 30 seconds-to-a-minute of opportunity, say you were standing in the room when it happened, you could probably…

  • Cover the pot.
    Using a metal lid (glass will shatter) or cookie sheet, cover the pot. Fire cannot exist without oxygen.
  • Carefully extinguish.
    Baking soda or salt will extinguish a small grease fire by smothering it, but it will take a large amount. The little box in your refrigerator may not be sufficient.
  • Try a fire extinguisher.

If the grease fire does not go out after the above measures…

  • Get out!
    If you can’t get the fire under control, evacuate your home immediately and dial 9-1-1. After this catastrophic event occurs remember who your local fire restoration professionals are. SERVPRO of East Evansville professionals are highly trained and have the skills to restore your home after the fire, call us at (812)-471-3132.